Which actresses are the highest paid on the small screen right now? This list, compiled via Forbes, aims to find out.
This takes into account total earnings from the year, so it can include current payment for shows, rerun syndication payment, advertising revenue or outside income (such as restaurant ownership or money generated from a fashion line). So if you're confused about who is where, that might explain it.
You'll notice that there's a few reality stars on this list. The truth is that payment for reality TV "stars" is going up. Especially for the ones who have created an empire around their "brand".
SOFIA VERGARA Sofia Vergara - $19M Courtney Cox - $5M
‘The Reluctant Fundamentalist’ will spur a dialogue: Mira Nair
Acclaimed Indian director Mira Nair is hopeful that her new thriller “The Reluctant Fundamentalist” would spur a dialogue between two worlds depicted in it particularly in the context of the Boston Marathon bombings.
Based on the novel of the same name by Pakistani writer Mohsin Hamid, the film tells the story of two conflicting ideologies – the “fundamentalism” of the capitalists and that of the terrorists – through a young Pakistani man chasing his American Dream.
The film “not only gave me the opportunity to make that modern tale on Pakistan, but it was also in its bones a dialogue with America,” Nair told IANS in a phone interview from New York.
“There is so little of conversation between this part of the world and that part of the world and especially post 9/11 that conversation has become a monologue,” she said.
She saw in “The Reluctant Fundamentalist” a “chance to create a bridge, create a dialogue.”
Nair said she has tried “to make a film that questions who is the other or who do we make to feel like the other and make something that’s not reductionist”, where one is either a good guy or a bad guy and things are black or white.
In a complicated world “we are many things. Not just one thing – not just Indian or American or just this or that, but we are a combination of so many identities especially in this globalising world,” she said.
7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons About Women!
1. You Can Not Chase Money And Women At The Same Time - Even when so many fathers have made this mistake in their youthful days they still end up failing to tell their sons that one can not hunt for money and women at the same time. It is either one makes money and then start chasing women or the other way round.
2. A Man Gets More Respect Based On His Pocket - This point is not trying to encourage crime or ungodly acts in other to make wealth but to face reality. It is a known fact that both within the home front and the society at large, a man is respected the more according to how comfortable and financially free he becomes.
3. Women Can Make Or Ruin You - So many fathers even when they know the truth of the power of any woman, still shy away from enlightening their sons on the critical hidden powers a woman possesses. From the days of Adam, Samson, Solomon, Abacha and other notable men, we have seen how a man can either rise or fall through the power and influence of a woman. A man should therefore thread as softly as possible when dealing with a woman.
4. A Woman Can Smell A Successful Man From Miles Away - Women naturally have an hidden instinct of knowing a man who is successful or have the tendency of being successful in the future. So many women have stuck to a struggling and upcoming man against their parents wish of marrying an already made man. A woman will say things like “he has a bright future”, “he has potentials” or “he will be a great man in future”. Ladies who have uttered such words and stuck by their men have never gone wrong. Example is how Michelle Obama stuck with Barack through thick and thin.
5. A Woman Doesn't Like A Weak Man - When fathers tell their sons never to give in to a woman’s pressure, they mostly advise their sons to be forceful on issues to prove he is the man of the house. When in reality, women prefer men who say less and do more, rather than the ones who keep talking but do less. The latter is the typical meaning of a weak man but fathers always advice to do such to prove he is the king of the house.
6. Women Appreciate Men With Fatherly Characters - Most men always miss out on this and as such never advise their sons to be a father figure to their wives. Women are best at doing this but every woman wants a man who sits her down to advice her, reason with her, give her constructive criticisms and above all, believe in her.
7. It Is Easier To Catch A Cheating Man Than Catch A Cheating Woman - Most men till date don’t know that it is far easier to get caught cheating as a man than catching a woman who cheats. A woman can make a man ‘father’ every single child she has but only her knows who the biological father is, while a man can hardly keep it as a secret from his wife when he has a love child outside the matrimonial home. Hey! women are you reading these... Of course men should start getting wiser NOW! what do you think, HIT the comment box...
Did you know?? Drinking water at the right time Maximizes its effectiveness on the Human body : 1 glass of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs. 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion. 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure. 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack. Ok! you know these now but can you tell me: HOW MANY CUPS OF WATER ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DRINK A DAY? Your answers on the comment box below, the right answer gets A SURPRISE GIFT!
Here are some facts from our common heritage that should make you proud to be called a Nigerian:
1. Nigeria is home to seven percent (7%) of the total languages spoken on earth. Taraba state alone has more languages than 30 African countries. The importance of this fact is appreciated when one understands that language is the “soul of culture” (as Ngugi wa Thiongo famously said). Itis language that births the proverbs, riddles, stories and other aspects of culture that give us identity. UNESCO puts forward that the world’s languages represents an extraordinary wealth of creativity. Linguistic diversity correlates with cultural diversity. This means Nigeria can look inwards and drive itself to become the greatest hub for cultural tourism on earth, and consequently empower its citizens tremendously in the process.
2. The Walls of Benin (800-1400AD), in present day Edo State, are the longest ancient earthworks in the world, and probably the largest man-made structure on earth. They enclose 6500 square kilometers of community lands that connected about 500 communities.At over 16000km long, it was thought to be twice the length of the Great Wall of China, until it was announced in 2012 (after five years of meticulous measurement by Chinese surveyors) that the Great Wall is about 21,000km long.
3. The Yoruba tribe has the highest rate of twin births in the world. Igbo-Ora, a little town in Oyo state, has been nicknamed Twin capital of the World because of its unusually high rate of twins that is put as high as 158 twins per 1000 births. In a video I watched last year on YouTube presented by Titi (a white lady who speaks Yoruba), and which was centered on twin births in Igbo-Ora, one of the locals boasted that every family in the town has at least one twin! (WATCH OUT FOR THIS VIDEO HERE)
4. Sarki Muhammad Kanta The Great of Kebbi, was the only ruler who resisted control by Songhai, West Africa’s greatest empire at that time. He founded and ruled the Hausa city-state of Kebbi around 1600 A.D and built Surame its capital, a planned city which was almost impossible to penetrate during war. In fact UNESCO describes Surame as “one of the wonders of human history, creativity and ingenuity”, and probably the most massive stone-walled constructions in West Africa. He is listed in Robin Walker’s 50 Greatest Africans.
5. Africa’s oldest known boat is The Dufunacanoe which was discovered in Dufuna village, Yobe state, by a Fulani Herdsman in May 1987, while he dug a well. Various radio-carbon tests conducted in laboratories of reputable universities in Europe and America indicate that the canoe is over 8,000 years old, thus making it the oldest in Africa and 3rd oldest in the world. The discovery of the canoe has completely changed accepted theories of the history and sophistication of marine technology in Africa.
6. Sungbo’s Eredo, a 160 km rampart equipped with guard houses and moats, is reputed to be the largest single pre-colonial monument (or ancient fortification if you like) in Africa.It is located in present-day Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State and when it was built a millennium ago, it required more earth to be moved during construction than that used for building the Great Pyramid of Giza (one of the Seven Wonders of The Ancient World). The most astonishing thing is that Sungbo’s Eredo was the biggest city in the world (bigger than Rome and Cairo) during the Middle Ages when it was built!
7. Sarki Abdullah Burja of Kano (ruled 1438-1452 AD), the 18th ruler of Ancient Kano, created the first Golden Age in Northern Nigeria and ushered in a period of great prosperity. During his reign, Hausa became the biggest indigenous language spoken in Africa after Swahili. He is on the list of 50 Greatest Africans in Robin Walker’s wonderful book, “When We Ruled”.
8. The Jos Plateau Indigo bird, a small reddish-brown bird, is found nowhere else on the planet but Plateau state, Nigeria.
9. The Anambra waxbill, a small bird of many beautiful colours, it is found only in Southern Nigeria and nowhere else on earth.
10. The Niger Delta (which is the second largest delta on the planet), has the highest concentration of monotypic fish families in the world, and is also home to sixty percent of Nigeria’s mangrove forests. You should know too that Nigeria’s mangrove forests are the largest in Africa and third largest on earth.
11. According to the World Resources Institute, Nigeria is home to 4,715 different types of plant species, and over 550 species of breeding birds and mammals, making it one of the most ecologically vibrant places of the planet.
HOW WELL DO YOU KNOW ABOUT YOUR BODY FUNCTIONS AND ABILITY?
Most often we wake up and sleep without really asking questions on how some things take place in our body, we ignore some facts that when known can really enhance our activity or work force, below is listed 40 facts about the human body.
Take a good look at each of them and tell me the ones you already know before now and the ones you're just noticing. PLEASE BE FACTUAL!
Hit the COMMENT button to reply or drop your comment.
1. The brain is more active at night than during the day. Scientists don't know yet why this is so.
2. The higher your IQ, the more you dream.
3. Facial hair grows faster than any other hair on the body.
4. The nail on the middle finger grows faster than the other fingernails.
5. Fingernails grow nearly four times faster than toe nails.
6. The lifespan of a human hair is 3 to 7 years on average.
7. The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve zinc. It doesn't destroy the stomach because because the stomach walls constantly renews itself.
8. Women's hearts beat faster than men's.
9. Women blink twice as many times as men do.
10. Women are born better smellers than men and remain better smelliers over life.
11. Men burn fat faster than women by a rate of about 50 calories a day.
12. Men get hiccups more often than women.
13. A man has approximately 6.8 litres of blood in the body while women have approximately 5 litres.
14. The largest cell in the body is the female egg and the smallest is the male sperm.
15. During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools.
16. Babies are always born with blue eyes. The melanin in their eyes needs time to be fully deposited or to be darkened by ultraviolet light to reveal the baby's true eye color.
17. Men have erections every hour to hour and a half during sleep. This is because the combination of blood circulation and testerone production can cause erections during sleep and are a necessary part of REM sleep.
18. After eating too much, your hearing is less sharp.
19. If your saliva cannot dissolve or mix with food, you will not be able to taste that food (try tasting something after drying off your tongue)
20. Noise causes the pupils of your eyes to dilate. Even very small noises can do that
21. Everyone has a unique smell, unique finger print and unique tongue print.
22. By age 60, most people will have lost half their taste buds.
23. Your eyes remain the same size after birth but your nose and ears never stop growing.
24. A simple, moderately severe sunburn burns the blood vessels extensively.
25. We are about 1cm taller in the mornings than in the evenings.
26. The strongest muscle in the body is the human tongue.
27. The hardest bone in the human body is the jaw bone.
28. The hands and feet contains almost half of the total bones in the human body.
29. About 32 million bacteria call every inch of your skin home, but they are mostly harmless and some of them are even helpful.
30. Humans shed and regrow outer skin every 27 days.
31. Three hundred million cells die in the human body every minute and everyday and adult produces 300 billion new cells.
32. The colder the room you sleep, the higher the chances are that you would get a nightmare.
33. Humans are the only species that produce emotional tears.
34. All babies are color blind at birth, they see only black and white.
35. The only part of your body that has no blood supply is the cornea in the eye. It gets its oxygen directly from air.
36. A normal human being can survive 20 days without eating but can survive only 2 days without drinking.
37. It is impossible to kill yourself by choking yourself with your hands.
38. Everybody has one strong eye and one weak eye.
39. Your skeleton keeps renewing itself every ten years which means that every ten years you get a new skeleton.
40. The human feet have 500,000 sweat glands and can produce more than a pint of sweat a day.
**There are only 2 countries in the entire world that do not sell Coca -Cola; North Korea and Cuba.
**The average person has 3 to 5 best friends, and usually hates one person in their social group.
**Sharks replace their teeth so often that they can actually lose almost 30,000 teeth over their lifetime.
**A man once escaped a police interrogation room by putting a coat over his handcuffs and walking out the door. He later mailed back the cuffs.
**A proper handshake should last for about three seconds.
**Men would traditionally walk with a woman on his left arm, so his right hand could be free for his sword in case of a duel.
**Brushing your teeth regularly has been shown to prevent heart disease.
**All 13 minerals necessary for human life can be found in alcoholic beverages.
**Smiles have been proven to be more attractive on a woman's face than makeup.
**People who are easily embarrassed are more trustworthy and generous. Which of these can be contested, HIT the comment box and lets debate it. OK let's discuss it and I'll prove it to you POINT BLANK!
Hello friends, I'm back with another trilling FACTS but I'm yet to hear from you, at least place your comment below to let me know you're reading and like I said in my previous post don't forget you can tell or let me know what's your areas of interest so that I'll post on your interests. Hmmm! that will be nice and INTERESTING.
So hit the comment button and let me hear from you NOW!
*The cost of world war II, in 2008 U.S dollars was $ 4.114 trillion, enough money to have transformed the lives of all the people that fought and died in the war.
*There is a bush that is about 11,700 years old, the name is 'king clone' the location has been unverified due to civilians protection.
*More than half of all guns manufactured in the world are purchased by Americans.
*Bats possesses wings but they are not birds but mammals.
*A furniture company has invented a ''Smart bed'' that automatically make itself after you get up.
*The world youngest parents were 8 and 9 and they lived in china in 1910.
*The earth makes a complete rotation every 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4 seconds.
*95% of the cell phones sold in china are waterproof.
*Japan has vending machines that gives you random girls phone numbers.
Hello guys did you see this last one? Lets get to Japan and import this Vending Machine, we'll surely make a fortune from it... What do you think?